The Department was established in the year 1925 with the commencement of the science groups in the Intermediate course. The Department was started under the leadership of Prof D Gopalan, student of Sir C V Raman, and through these years the Department of Physics has earned the reputation as a premier Institution. Affiliation for B Sc Physics was granted in 1945. The affiliation for M Sc Physics with specialization in Electronics was granted in the year 1961. M Sc Physics (Non-conventional Energy) was introduced in the year 1998. The Department started M Phil course in Physics in the year 2012. The department is a DST-FIST sponsored department since 2005.
Department of Physics recognized as an approved research centre of Mahatma Gandhi University in 1985 (MG University Order No. Ac. AII (1) 504/85 Dated 20.12.1985). So far 25 Students had taken their PhD degrees from this department and the total number of publication over the years is more than 250. There are six research labs functioning in the department in various disciplines; General Physics Research lab, Plasma Research lab, SMART materials lab Advanced Research in Materials Science (ARMS) lab, Photo electronic Materials lab and Space Physics Lab.