The Department of Library and Information Science was established in 2002. The department started BLISc in 2002 and MLISc in 2004. Both the courses are self-financing. SB College is the first college in MG University to start Library and Information Science courses and the first in Kerala to start a MLISc Course.
Why Library and Information Science?
Library science is an interdisciplinary field which combines the principles and practices of library administration. The disciplines that are associated with library science are education, management, and Information technology. The main objective of any library is to accumulate, organize, preserve and disseminate information resources. The role of library science is to provide a combined service of research and teaching. It contributes to the knowledge base of professionals and helps in preparing them to achieve excellence. The library science course will help in designing and improving libraries. In the digital age, the importance of librarians and library science is increasing. Library professionals are the one who are completely involved in providing information services to professionals and organizations. In the modern digital age, the need for quality and filtered information has grown up and so librarians have a major role to play. This has increased the scope for library science in this digital age.
Individuals interested in studying library and information science have many diverse job opportunities, ranging from traditional library work in academic institutions like schools, colleges, IITs, IIMs, universities etc., public libraries like pachayath, municipal, district, state and national libraries to working as an archivist in archives and museums and information specialists in research institutes and MNCs. Non-traditional librarian jobs are predicted to grow the fastest over the next few years. Demand for future librarians is expected to come from corporate entities that seek research experts skilled in computer databases and information organization who are also called as information officers, information scientists, information professionals, etc.
Why in SB College
As one of the prestigious institutions in the country St. Berchmans offers the chance to engage with academics at the forefront of cutting-edge research and to contribute to solving some of our global challenges. The College has an international reputation for research, teaching and resources and it is alive with activity, attracting students from all over the country. Here you will have the opportunity to pursue your intellectual curiosity and acquire the habits of mind which will enhance your future experience of life, whatever turn it may take.
Department of Library and Information Science
Established in 2002 the Department provides Bachelors and Masters (started in 2004) courses – BLISc and MLISc – with limited seats. The basic eligibility to join the bachelors course is degree in any subjects from recognised universities. It is the first college in MG University, Kottayam that started the Masters course in the subject.
BLISC (BACHELOR IN LIBRARY AND INFORMATION SCIENCE) – 1 YEAR
- The Department of Library and Information Science provides future and current professionals with the skills necessary to bridge the gap between people and information. Our graduates apply their Information Science perspective, knowledge, and skills to system design and service design, geared toward a variety of diverse populations, cultures and contexts. Information professionals report high levels of job satisfaction, citing the rewards of working with diverse clientele and making a positive difference while engaged in a variety of responsibilities in excellent working environments. Our graduates are sought by information agencies and libraries in the private, public, government and academic sectors because of their cutting-edge skills with both print and digital media.
MLISC (MASTER OF LIBRARY AND INFORMATION SCIENCE) – 1 YEAR
- The MLISc program, intended for those seeking to develop or advance in careers in the information professions.The curriculum covers essential facets of librarianship – such as foundations, research, collection development, database management and information technologies– and presents you with opportunities to advance your management skills through team work, communication for leaders and project management.Students from the library and information science program with a rich and varied skill set that includes research, records management, web design, and organizational management. They are able to identify information needs, find resources to meet those needs, and collect, manage, and analyze data. All of these qualities make library and information science graduates attractive to a wide range of employers.
- Training in computer hardware and networking in collaboration with Media Village College of Communication, Changanassery.
- Special Course on Archives Management in collaboration with Kuriakose Elias Chavara Archives and Research Centre, Mannanam
- Extension course on Museology in collaboration with the Department of History, Assumption College, Changanassery.
Achievements of the Department
- 100% Pass Rate
- UGC NET/JRF since 2006
- University Rank
100% Placement still date
Recent alumni of the library and information science program at St. Berchmans have secured positions in the following fields:
- Archives, museums, and record centers
- Public libraries
- Government agencies
- College/University Libraries
- Hospital/medical/ pharmaceutical libraries
- Law libraries
- Media Libraries
- Channel Librarians
An Affordable and High-Quality Education
St. Berchmans offers an elite and affordable education, making a great value. In addition, offer many opportunities for financial aid, scholarships and assistantships.