sb collage

Discover
SB

College
History

2018

Ranked 46th Best College in India  by NIRF

2017

Prof P J Kurian, Honorable Deputy Chairman of the Rajyasabha, inaugurated the Berchmans Press Diamond Jubilee of MA Economics Programme UGC has approved the status of CPE to the College for the third phase from 2017 to 2022

2016

Dr Ei-Chi-Negichi, Nobel Laureate in Chemistry (2010), Professor of Purde University USA inaugurated the Navathy Memorial BELS (Berchmans Erudite Lecture Series), instituted by the Teaching Staff Association Started new batches in:
  1. BVoc Renewable Energy Management
  2. BVoc Industrial Chemistry
Inaugurated the Dining Hall constructed with Local Area Development Scheme of MP

2015

Prof Joseph Kurien became the Vice Principal Started new batches in:
  1. B Com (Unaided)
  2. M Com (Unaided)
  3. MPhil Commerce

2014

Granted Autonomous Status by the UGC Fr John Mullanparackal took charge as Vice Principal Started MSW Demolition of Msgr Kallarackal Hall in view of the New Administrative Block Member, United Nations Academic Impact

2013

NAAC Reaccredited the college at A level     Rev Fr John J Chavara became the Bursar Started new batches in:
  1. MBA (Unaided)
  2. B Com (Unaided)
  3. M Sc in Computer Science (Unaided)

2012

Navathy Year. Diamond Jubilee of BSc Chemistry SAMVIT: All India Science Industrial and Cultural Exhibition Three days Arts Festival held Started:
  1. MPhil Physics
  2. B Com (Unaided)
  3. BCA (Unaided)
Sri Salman Khurshid, Hon. Minister for Law, Justice, and Minority Affairs visited the College as the Chief guest in the Navathy Valedictory function

2011

Rededication of the College Tower. Visit of Australian High Commissioner. Staged Shakespeare’s The Tempest

2010

The National Commission for Minority Educational Institution New Delhi granted minority status to the college. Dr. Stephen Mathews retired from the service. Rev.Fr. Tomy Padinjareveettil took charge as the Principal. Dr Jacob Mathew became the Vice Principal

2009

Ruby Jubilee of MA English Language and Literature Golden Jubilee of BA and MA Courses in the Department of Malayalam.

2008

Recognized as Partner Institute of IGNOU Opened Gandhian Study Centre.

2007

Staged Shakespeare’s Macbeth Rev Fr Tom Kunnumpuram retired Dr Stephen Mathews appointed as the Principal. Rev Fr Tomy Padinjareveetil became Vice Principal.

2006

NAAC Reaccredited the college at A+ level

2005

His Excellency Dr. A P J Abdul Kalam, The President of India, visited the college

2004

The UGC identified the college as a “College with Potential for Excellence”. Started:
  1. MLISc
  2. Biochemistry (Dept of Zoology)

2003

Started Human Resources Development (HRD) Department Conducted Berchmans International Film Festival

2002

The UGC sanctioned financial assistance to set up a National Environmental Studies Centre in the Department of Chemistry and also to start the MPhil course in the same subject. The Department of Science and Technology, Government of India, and the DAAD Foundation of Germany in a joint venture, recognize the Department of Chemistry as a Centre of Excellence. MoU signed between Dept of Chemistry, SB College and Martin Luther King University, Germany to exchange their research scholars Rev Dr Philips Wadakekalam received the Best College Principal Award instituted by Dr M V Pylee Foundation. Rev Dr Philips Vadakekalam retired from service. Rev Fr Tom Kunnumpuram took charge as Principal. Prof Joseph Tito re-appointed and Prof Stephen Mathews appointed as Vice Principals. UGC sponsored B Sc Industrial Micro Biology course began. 80th foundation day celebrated.

2001

“Millennium Mega Winnow” by the Department of Malayalam Started
  1. BA Vocational English
  2. BSc Biotechnology (Sponsored by the UGC) under the Department of Botany
  3. Master of Computer Applications
  4. MA Multimedia – all affiliated to Mahatma Gandhi University
  5. MSc in Information Technology – affiliated to MS University, Tirunelveli.
Fr Gigy Mullamkuzhy became the Bursar. Rev Dr Antony Kurialasserry, Principal, passed away on 26th  August.

2000

Enhanced the College Library facility Fr Tom Kunnumpuram is reappointed and Prof Joseph Tito is appointed as Vice-Principals. St Berchmans’ College received the GNN Award for Excellence in Education for the year 1999-2000.

1999

Following the High Court Order, the college introduced the Parliamentary system of elections Sri Padmanabha Dasa, His Highness Marthanda Varma Uthradam Thirunal presented the “St Berchmans’ Award” for the best teacher in affiliated colleges. As part of the quarter centenary of Shakespeare’s Hamlet, the College Arts Club staged the play which ran into three shows. The peer team of National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC), an autonomous body of the UGC, visited and conferred FIVE STAR status. Commenced MSc in Polymer Chemistry

1998

Rev Dr Joseph Vattakalam retired as Principal. Rev Dr Philips Wadakekalam appointed as Principal. Rev Fr Thomas Kodinattukunnel and Rev Fr Tom Kunnumpuram became Vice Principals. Instituted “St Berchmans’ Award” for the best teacher in affiliated colleges in Kerala by the Alumni Association, Kuwait Chapter, Started MSc in Non-Conventional Energy Opened a well-equipped computer lab Launched Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Applications under the aegis of Mahatma Gandhi University Distance Education.

1997

Valedictory Meeting of the Platinum Jubilee Celebrations. Valedictory address by Shri K R Narayanan, Hon’ble Vice President of India. Won the Second “R Sankar Award”.

1996

Msgr Mathew Pulickaparampil, Former Principal, passed away on 7th January 1996. S B College won the first “R Sankar Award” for the Best Special Grade Private College in the State. Rev Dr George Madathiparampil, Principal, retired. Rev Dr Joseph Vattakalam became the Principal. Rev Dr Mathew Punchayil appointed as Vice-Principal. Platinum Jubilee celebrations. Staged Shakespeare’s Antony and Cleopatra Sahrudaya Hostel bifurcated as Sahrudaya Hostel and St Berchmans’ Hostel. Rev Fr Jose Viruppel appointed as Bursar.

1995

Centre for Durrel Studies inaugurated. Centre for Kamala Das studies opened. The new MBA Block is blessed by the Archbishop Mar Joseph Powathil. Berchmans’ Institute of Management Studies (BIMS) inaugurated. Language Laboratory and Environmental Research Laboratory opened.

1994

Rev Fr Jose P Kottaram appointed as the President of the Managing Board. Rev Dr George Madathiparampil elected asa the President of All India Association for Christian Higher Education. Research Centre in Malayalam was inaugurated by the Vice Chancellor, Dr A Sukumaran Nair. Foundation stone for the MBA Block blessed by Archbishop Mar Joseph Powathil Staged Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet

1993

Rev Dr Mathew Punchayil appointed as Bursar.

1992

Prof K J George retired as Vice Principal. Rev Fr Joseph Vattakalam appointed as Vice Principal. Scinex-92 Science and Industrial Exhibition held in connection with the Seventieth Jubilee celebrations of the college.  Hon Lok Sabha Speaker Shri Sivaraj Patil inaugurated the celebrations. Executive Council meeting of the International Federation of Catholic Universities held in the S B Campus.

1991

The Research Center blessed by His Grace Mar Joseph Powathil. The main Seminar Hall named as Archbishop Powathil Priestly Jubilee Memorial Hall. Rev Dr Joseph Maroor, Principal retired. Rev Dr George Madathiparampil appointed as Principal. Prof K J George became Vice Principal. Rev Fr Antony Kadavil appointed as Bursar. Msgr Francis Kalacherry, Former Principal, passed away on 27 June. Staged Shakespeare’s Othello. Rev Dr George Madathiparampil elected as the member of the Executive Council of the International Federation of Catholic Universities in Paris.

1990

The foundation stone of the Research Centre is blessed by His Grace Mar Joseph Powathil. The Silver Jubilee of the Sahrudaya Hostel

1989

Staged Shakespeare’s Julius Caesar.

1987-1988

The Saceredotal Silver Jubilee of the Patron Mar Joseph Powathil and the Principal Rev Dr Joseph Maroor was held His Eminence Cardinal Lourdusamy visited the campus in connection with the Centenary Celebrations of the Archdiocese.

1986-1987

A grand Industrial & Science Exhibition and Arts Festival (November 14 December 2, 1986) organized in connection with the Diamond Jubilee of the starting of the Natural Science Courses and the Silver Jubilee of P G Courses. Mr Giani Zail Singh, the President of India inaugurated the celebrations on August 31 and laid the foundation stone of the Research Centre. The Arts Club staged Shakespeare’s Macbeth Organised Benefactors’ club. The annual meeting of the Club is held on August 13, St Berchmans’ Day every year.

1986

His Grace Mar Joseph Powathil became the Patron. The Departments of English, Physics, Botany and Zoology elevated as research centres. Rev Msgr Mathew Pulickaparmpil appointed as the President of the Managing Board.

1985

Rev Fr Mathew Pulickaparampil retired. Rev Dr Joseph M T Maroor became Principal. Rev Dr George Madathiparampil took charge as Vice Principal and Bursar. Rev Fr Gregory Paruvaparampil was appointed as the Principal of St Aloysius College Edathua. His Grace Mar Antony Padiyara, Patron, transferred to Ernakulam as the Metropolitan Archbishop of Ernakulam.

1984

Rev Dr Joseph M T Maroor appointed as the Vice Principal. Started MSc Analytical Chemistry

1983

Prof A E Augustine retired as Vice Principal. Gandhiji University was established Affiliation shifted to Gandhiji University

1982

Diamond Jubilee Year

1981

Enlarged the Students’ Center with UGC aid. Prof. A.E. Augustine appointed as Vice Principal. Affiliation granted for M Com.

1980

Constructed Sahrudaya Hostel’s mess

1979

Rt. Rev. Dr. L. J. Chittoor, Former Logic Lecturer, Vicar General and Manager of the College passed away on 4 June 1979. Introduced shift system for the Pre Degree Course.

1977

Mar Joseph Powathil, President of the Managing Board became the first Bishop of Kanjirappally. Rev. Dr. Antony Kurialacherry appointed as the Executive Director of Caritas India Rev. Fr. Mathew Pulickaparampil took charge as Principal. Rev. Fr. A.C. Eapen Former Logic Professor, Principal and Spiritual father passed away on 27th December 1977.

1975

Selected as a member of the International Federation of Catholic Universities, one among the seven selected from India and three from Kerala. Celebrated Kalidasa centenary with a symposium on Kalidasa and a production of Sakunthalam.

1973

Blessed the new Library Building. Mar Joseph Powathil blessed the Staff Quarters The construction of the massive auditorium, Archbishop Kavukattu Hall completed. Golden Jubilee Celebrations Golden Jubilee Celebrations valedictory session inaugurated by His Excellency N.N. Vanchoo, Governor of Kerala.

1972

Golden Jubilee Year Rev Fr Joseph Powathil, Lecturer in Economics, appointed as the Auxiliary Bishop of Changanacherry Archdiocese Foundation stones of the new Library building and Staff Quarters were laid by Mar Joseph Powathil and Rt. Rev. Msgr. L.J. Chittoor respectively.

1971

Rev. Fr. A.C. Eapen left the college after 36 years of Service as Vice Principal, Acting Principal and Spiritual Director. Staged Shakespeare’s Macbeth Laid the foundation stone of Archbishop Kavukattu Hall by His Grace Mar Antony Padiyara on August 15.

1970

The Basketball Stadium was built Very Rev. Msgr. Francis Kalacherry retired from service. Rev. Fr. Mathew Pulickaparampil as Principal in-charge Rev. Dr. Antony Kurialacherry took charge as Principal.

1969

The Arts Club staged Shakespeare’s Macbeth.

1967

Affiliation granted to M.A. English Language and Literature The new Biology Block blessed and formally opened by H.Em. Cardinal De Furstenburg

1966

Re-organized BA, BSc Programmes Began special B Sc courses A soil-testing unit started, attached to the Department of Chemistry.

1965

Rev. Fr. Kuriakose Aenekatt became the Principal of St. Dominic’s College Kanjirappally Rev. Fr. Mathew Pulickaparampil as the Vice Principal Affiliation granted for M Sc Mathematics and M Sc Zoology. Three-storeys of the new Biology Block completed. Launched College Development Programme Organised a grand Science Exhibition and Arts Festival. H. E. Pattom Thanupillai, Governor of Andhra Pradesh, inaugurated the exhibition Staged Shakespeare’s Othello The College Office and the Department of Zoology moved to the Biology Block. Inaugurated the Economics Seminar Hall

1964

Established Sahrudaya Hostel Affiliation granted for M.Sc. Chemistry and B. A. English Language and Literature. Began Pre Degree Course Principal, Msgr. Kalacherry nominated as Papal Chamberlain. The College Arts Club celebrated Shakespeare’s Quarter-Centenary Staged Shakespeare’s Othello

1963

NCC Shooting Range (with UGC aid) B.Com course started

1962

Established Hobby Workshop and Non – Resident Students Centre (with UGC aid)

1961

Rev. Fr. P.C. Mathew retired. Rev. Fr Francis Kalacherry took charge as Principal. Rev. Fr Kuriakose Aenekatt appointed as Vice Principal. Commenced MSc in Physics and Botany Extention of the Science building Staged Shakespeare’s King Lear

1960

Construction of the Open Air Theatre and the Guest House. Commenced M.A Malayalam course

1957

Commenced Three-Year Degree Courses The College was selected as the centre for Pre-Professional Course. Started M.A Economics course

1956

Rev. Fr. Francis Kalacherry became the Principal of Mar Ivanios College, Thiruvananthapuram Rev Dr N A Thomas appointed as Vice Principal. Started Pre-University Course.

1955

Rev Fr William retired and Rev. Fr. P.C. Mathew appointed as Principal. Rev. Fr Francis Kalacherry was appointed as Vice Principal Staged Shakespeare’s Hamlet

1952

Silver Jubilee of the Natural Science Department A grand Science Exhibition and College Day celebrations were inaugurated by H.H the Rajapramukh. Staged Shakespeare’s King Lear and The Merchant of Venice

1951

Affiliation granted for B.Sc. Chemistry. The ground floor of the Science Building extended to house the Intermediate Laboratory. Staged Shakespeare’s The Merchant of Venice

1950

Rev Fr Mathew Kavukattu, Lecturer and Hostel warden became Bishop of Changanacherry.

1947

Staged Shakespeare’s Macbeth

1945

Affiliation for B Sc Physics granted. Established Newman Hostel

1944

Rev. Fr Romeo Thomas left the college and joined Sacred Heart College, Thevara. Rev. Fr Thomas William TOCD, M A L T took charge as Principal. Rev Fr A C Eapen retired as Vice Principal Rev Fr P C Mathew M A appointed as the Vice Principal

1940

Rt Rev Msgr Jacob Kallarackal, Vicar General, donated Rs. 9,000/- for a chapel and an assembly hall. Christ the King’s Chapel was built Old gymnasium was enlarged and converted to the Msgr Kallarackal HaIl. Expansion for the playgrounds and premises Established St. Joseph’s and St Thomas Hostels

1939

Degree Courses were affiliated to the University of Travancore

1938

Approved Syriac and Sanskrit as Second Languages for Degree Course and Syriac for the Intermediate. The University of Travancore was established Intermediate Courses were affiliated to the University of Travancore

1937

The College Arts Club staged Shakespeare’s Macbeth.

1936

Rev Fr Romeo Thomas T O C D, M A LT took charge as Principal.

1935

Rev Fr Mathew Purackal retired from the service. Rev Fr A C Eapen M A Ph D as Principal in-charge.

1934

The construction of the ground floor of the Science Block was completed Affiliation granted for B A Economics

1928

Rev Dr James Kalacherry, Lecturer in Logic, became Bishop of Changanacherry and Patron. Introduced B A Mathematics course

1927

Became a First Grade, offering Botany and Zoology at the Degree level.

1925

Introduced Intermediate Courses, Group I and II Moved into the new premises on the present site during the administratorship of Rt Rev Msgr Jacob Kallarackal.

1922

Founded on 19th June by Bishop Rev Dr Thomas Kurialacherry, and affiliated to Madras University
sb collage

Awards
& Honours